- Also see: Southeast Asia Travel COVID-19 Overview
- Also see: South America Travel COVID-19 Overview
LATEST MALDIVES COVID-19 TRAVEL NEWS:
- 21st March 2022 – The Maldives has removed the testing requirement for all international travellers. Source.
- 5th March 2022 – Maldives testing requirement for vaccinated travellers has been scrapped. Source.
- 29th December 2021 – The Maldives has reopened to travellers from South Africa. Source.
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing every day and the following information reflects South East Asia’s Backpacker’s understanding of the current rules for entry. While we update this article regularly to ensure the information is as current as it can be, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
Maldives Travel Restrictions
Can you travel to The Maldives right now?
Yes! All tourists regardless of vaccination status can enter the Maldives. After previously closing its borders on 12th March 2020, the Maldives was able to fully reopen on 15th July 2020 and hasn’t looked back since. The island nation has been one of the few destinations in Asia that has managed to keep tourism going throughout almost the whole pandemic.
Please see here for the Maldives list of recognised vaccines.
Before you enter the Maldives, you will need:
Required Entry Documents
- Complete an online Traveller Health Declaration Form 72 hours before your departure to the Maldives as well as 72 hours before your return home or journey onward.
- Complete an Immigration Arrival card upon entry to the Maldives.
- There is no longer a COVID-19 insurance requirement for travellers to the Maldives. However, travel insurance is always a sensible idea!
SafetyWing is the travel insurance of choice for scores of backpackers!
- Subscription style insurance
- Offers COVID-19 cover
- Available after your trip has started
If you are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated you may be required to follow Covid 19 testing and quarantine rules, depending on the visa you entered on.
Local COVID-19 Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations below are only meant to serve as a guide and the situation is prone to change rapidly without warning. For more information on local rules and restrictions visit the Official Visit Maldives Tourism Website.
- FACE COVERINGS – Face masks are no longer compulsory, however, they are recommended on public transport and in busy areas. Also see: Best face masks for travel.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – No longer in place.
- CURFEWS – There are currently no curfews in the Maldvies.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT – Operating as normal. Masks recommended.
- VENUES AND GATHERINGS – Most shops and hospitality venues are open as normal. If you are in a crowded area, face masks are recommended.
- MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE – There are currently no travel restrictions between different islands in the Maldives.
- Gov.uk Travel Advice – Maldives
- Official Visit Maldives Tourism Website
- Ministry of Health – Republic of Maldives
Join Over 20,000 Happy Backpackers in Our Facebook Group!
Find travel buddies. Get advice. Have all your questions answered by travellers on the ground in Southeast Asia right now.