- Also see: Southeast Asia Travel COVID-19 Overview
- Also see: South America Travel COVID-19 Overview
LATEST VIETNAM COVID-19 NEWS:
- 14th May 2022 – Vietnam has dropped its pre-departure COVID-19 test requirement for all arrivals from 15th May 2022. Source.
- 13th May 2022 – Cambodia and Vietnam will soon open their land borders, however, no date has been set yet. Source.
- 10th May 2022 – Vietnam-Laos land border has reopened to fully vaccinated travellers. Source.
Disclaimer: COVID-19 travel restrictions are changing every day and the following information reflects South East Asia’s Backpacker’s understanding of the current rules for entry. While we update this article regularly to ensure the information is as current as it can be, we cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions.
Vietnam Travel Restrictions
Can you travel to Vietnam right now?
Yes. Vietnam reopened to all international travellers on 15th March 2022. All travellers to Vietnam must follow the same entry protocols, regardless of their vaccination status.
Vaccinated travellers are able to visit Vietnam without quarantine.
Please see here for Vietnam’s list of recognised vaccines.
Unvaccinated travellers can also travel to Vietnam without quarantine.
Before you enter Vietnam, you will need:
Required Entry Documents
- Obtain the relevant visa (if applicable). VOA now available.
- A passport with at least 6 months validity.
- Non-resident foreigners are recommended to get travel insurance that covers COVID-19.
SafetyWing is the travel insurance of choice for scores of backpackers!
- Subscription style insurance
- Offers COVID-19 cover
- Available after your trip has started
COVID-19 Tests Required
- Not applicable.
Quarantine has been scrapped for all international arrivals.
Local COVID-19 Rules and Regulations
The rules and regulations below are only meant to serve as a guide and the situation is prone to change rapidly without warning. For more information on local rules and restrictions visit the Vietnam Ministry of Health.
- FACE COVERINGS – Mask wearing is compulsory in all indoor public places in Vietnam. Not wearing a mask will get you a hefty fine. Also see: Best face masks for travel.
- SOCIAL DISTANCING – Social distancing rules are in force across the entire country.
- CURFEWS – Curfews could be introduced at short notice.
- PUBLIC TRANSPORT – Public transport can be cancelled with no notice.
- VENUES AND GATHERINGS – There are different restrictions in regions across the country.
- MOVEMENT OF PEOPLE – Each province has its own COVID-19 prevention requirements and these can change at short notice.
The land border with China is currently closed. The Laos-Cambodia land border should be reopening soon, however, dates are yet to be announced. The Laos-Vietnam land border is now open.
- Ninja Teacher (YouTube series)
- Vietnam Visa Advice (Facebook Group)
- US Embassy & Consulate in Vietnam
- UK Government Travel Advice to Vietnam
- OSAC Travel Advisories
- Vietnam Ministry of Health
- The Humanitarian Data Exchange
Join Over 20,000 Happy Backpackers in Our Facebook Group!
Find travel buddies. Get advice. Have all your questions answered by travellers on the ground in Southeast Asia right now.